That feeling of pure contentment and bliss one gets when gently drifting off into dreamland is indescribable.
Some people can’t find the words to say how awesome the feeling is, others can’t describe it because the rock-hard lumps or paper-thin “pillows” that hardly deserve the name have never let them experience it in the first place.
Do you identify with group 2? Are you both figuratively and literally tired of your poor excuse of a pillow? It’s high time you got some well-deserved, anatomically correct rest, and here are the best memory foam pillows to do it on!
Top 5 Memory Pillows Comparison Chart
Best Memory Foam Pillow Reviews
1. Sable Bed Pillow
There are great standard-sized memory foam pillows out there as you shall soon see, but their one size fits all approach is sometimes inadequate. People with irregular body type know what we’re talking about.
Sable has put a lot of effort into allowing its users to adjust its pillow’s height as they please by stuffing it with shredded memory foam. This has made it much more approachable, letting even heavier set or smaller people experience the true benefits of sleeping on a memory foam pillow in the exact way the rest of us do.
Unlike pillows whose memory foam is cut into a single shape, the stuffing of Sable’s pillow is made up of a lot of small pieces which retain their adaptability and bounce back, but are much easier to mold to your own preference.
So if the pillow is too high for example, you can unzip an inner zipper, take some of the foam out and make the pillow thinner. It will be just as effective at springing back into shape, and be overall better for your sleep as the wrong height won’t cause undue strain.
The pillow is clad in a bamboo fiber cover whose natural heat distribution properties make it great for people who fall asleep like a stone and never move during the night. Now they too won’t experience waking up all the time because their head’s resting place is too hot or damp.
- CertiPUR-US Memory Foam Registered with FDA: Made without harmful substances like formaldehyde, mercury, and other heavy metals, the flexible foam feels good and makes you feel good
- 20% More Foam to Adjust: Contains up to one fifth more filling than similar pillows so you get more to distribute and customize your bedding
- Breathable Comfort with Bamboo Fiber: Natural fabric woven in a perforated design feels comfortable while reducing perspiration even on sultry nights
- Long-Lasting YKK Zipper: Glides smoothly without hiccups even after repeated machine washing
- Easy to Care & Keep Clean: Both pillow jacket and stuffing can be conveniently laundered by your washing machine and dried at low temperature
What's to like about the Sable Bed Pillow
Apart from being totally customizable, the pillow is of an excellent firmness regardless of how well stuffed it is.
The pillow is just on the right side of hard – it definitely doesn’t feel like a rock, but if you’re looking for cloud-level fluffiness, you won’t find it here. This translates into good neck support and means that the pillow is doing its primary job of maintaining your proper sleeping form well.
What's not to like about the Sable Bed Pillow
As great as having a lot of foam particles to play with sounds, it has its downsides. Even though there’s an interior cover that keeps all the foam inside, there’s still the possibility of spilling it out and making a mess.
More importantly though, the pieces aren’t all evenly cut, which makes for spots that are harder or have a peculiar shape. The more foam you take out, the more serious this problem can become if you’ve been given a particularly rough batch.
2. Sleep Whale Adjustable Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
The second shredded memory foam entry on the list comes from Sleep Whale. Content with nothing less than a whole heap of foam of the highest quality for their customers to sink their heads, into, they offer a big, reasonably soft pillow with lots of breathability and room to tailor its dimensions to your liking.
Once you manage to get the tightly packed Sleep Whale out of its cute bag and fluff it up in your dryer, you’re left with a whole lot of pillow! Side sleepers ought to love this as there’s definitely more than enough foam in there to prop their necks up in the correct way.
Laying on the pillow is an interesting experience – it feels a little hard and stiff at first, but after your body heat has been softening the foam up for a couple of minutes, your head starts to smoothly sink into it, only to be stopped at just the right moment. This is a luxurious, dense foam which may make the pillow heavy, but the support it offers is top notch.
Apart from one whale of a pillow, you also get a handy cover you can machine wash. It’s a blend of bamboo fiber and polyester, meaning that it is flexible enough to fit firmly over the pillow whether you’ve already taken some of the stuffing out or left it filled to the brim, while wicking moisture away and helping you keep a cool head… literally!
- DURABLE: Filled with 100% shredded memory foam and protected with a cover made of 60% Polyester and 40% Bamboo. You will rest well knowing that YOUR PILLOW is designed with high quality material making it SOFT, long lasting and durable for many restful nights.
- COMFORTABLE: The PREMIUM shredded memory foam is FULLY ADJUSTABLE and provides a customizable sleep, that promotes maximum rest and comfort. It is firm and a great solution for those with neck problems; it contours to the shape you need. Great head support for side sleepers and allows those lying on their stomach during sleep to shift the foam for the necessary loft providing back pain relief!
- HYPOALLERGENIC & DUST MITE RESISTANT: The Sleep Whale is made of high quality hypoallergenic memory foam. Excellent choice for those who suffer from allergies as it is resistant to mold, dust mites, and bacteria.
- MACHINE WASHABLE & DRYER SAFE: Just remove the cover and throw it in the washer to keep your pillow smelling and feeling fresh. There are no risks of the cover changing sizes in the dryer and you no longer have to worry about drying it on the clothesline as the cover and pillow are both dryer safe. If needed, merely spot clean the actual pillow itself with a little soap and water.
What's to like about the Sleep Whale Adjustable Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
This is another pillow that gets high marks because of the shredded foam used as its stuffing. Giving you the freedom to decide how much is enough ensures better sleep.
What's not to like about the Sleep Whale Adjustable Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
The pillow certainly lives up to its name when size is concerned. On arrival it is much too thick even for side sleepers to enjoy and stands at about 7 inches high.
You’ll probably want to remove some foam before trying it out regardless of the sleep style you prefer. It also tends to compress to an uncomfortable degree after you’ve slept on the pillow for about a week, so regularly fluffing it back up is a must.
3. WEEKENDER Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Pillow
Next, we’re taking a break from shredded foam models and concentrating on a pillow made of a very interesting single piece of memory foam. Weekender’s gel-infused pillow seeks to eliminate one of the most common sleep complaints everyone has experienced – hot, sweat-ridden nastiness that turns one’s place of rest into a warm and damp nightmare.
This pillow sports an unusual design as well as having an interesting composition. This two-sided approach to temperature regulation makes it not only take heat on slower, but rake care of its dissipation much faster as well. Its gel infusion makes the pillow cool to the touch and it remains like that far longer than regular memory foam pillows do.
Add to that the series of holes which were punched through it to encourage air circulation, and you’ve got a blue, cracker-like slab of foam you can stay cool on, even during stifling summer nights.
That’s just half of its comfort equation though, the other being its foam’s pronounced softness. Your head will sink right in, only to be gently caught and held in place thanks to the foam’s denseness. If the hardness of the first two pillows on review seemed off-putting, the Weekender is what you’re looking for.
- Soft, yet supportive CertiPUR-US certified memory foam provides superior pressure relief and comfort
- Infused with temperature regulating gel for more comfortable sleep conditions
- Ventilated design maximizes air circulation
- Removable cover is machine washable; Standard size, mid loft pillow measures 16 inches by 25 inches with a 5 inch loft
- Firmer than traditional down or down alternative; 3-year warranty
What's to like about the WEEKENDER Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Pillow
The sinking feeling you get when using the pillow is amazing – your face gets surrounded with soft, cool foam that lets you forget all your troubles and gently nod off while your posture remains in proper alignment.
What's not to like about the WEEKENDER Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Pillow
It’s a shame that the pillow doesn’t have the standard two-loft appearance other memory foam models are known for. Its single loft is adequate for side sleepers, but not so great for laying on your back. Even though the foam has a lot of give, it’s still too high to maintain a correct sleeping posture in this position.
4. Snuggle-Pedic Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
Our third shredded memory foam entry is made entirely in the USA by Snuggle-Pedic, a company that places your comfort and well-being at the forefront of its priorities. They’re considerate enough to listen to users’ feedback and have taken a lot of it into account when producing this latest in their line of memory foam pillows.
Snuggle-Pedic prides itself in creating their pillows exclusively in the USA from the drawing board through its rigorous lab testing to the final, extremely comfortable result. While supporting a domestic business is a very pleasant side effect of buying this pillow, you’ll chiefly want to do so because the quality really is outstanding.
The secret lies in a special blend of memory foam coupled with the concept of shredding. The foam’s puffed-up pieces come together to form a firm yet malleable stuffing you can rest on in any position you choose, provided you get the height right. That’s where one of the aforementioned improvements comes in – Snuggle-Pedic’s pillow now has a second, inner casing which houses the foam, making adjustments easier.
This cover also protects the stuffing from mites, bed bugs and other unseemly and unhealthy hazards. What’s more with it inside you can now machine-wash the entire pillow to maintain and renew its hypoallergenic properties as much as needed.
- Shredded Style Combination Memory Foam Pillow That NEVER GOES FLAT! Our Kool-Flow Soft and Luxurious, Extra Breathable Micro-Vented Cover Made In The U.S.A. with 43% Viscose of Bamboo, 56.4 percent Polyester, .6 Percent Lycra KEEPS YOU COOL ALL NIGHT LONG! Fully Machine Washable.
- MADE IN USA CERTIFIED Bed Manufacturer Using Eco-Friendly Biogreen & Certipur-US Certified Foam.
- Now With Zipper Removable Outer Cover To Allow For Easy Adjustment of Thickness and Comfort. Conforming Shape Orthopedically Supports the Neck For Side, Stomach, & Back Sleepers.
- Hypoallergenic & Dust Mite Resistant. Rolled & Vacuum Sealed For Eco-Friendly Shipping. We use a combination of Biogreen and CertiPUR-US Certified foam tested and shown to be MADE WITHOUT ozone depleters, PBDE flame retardants, mercury, lead and other heavy metals, formaldehyde, without phthalates regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission and Low in VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million).
- 120-NIGHT LOVE IT OR SEND IT BACK POLICY WITH NO COST RETURNS and CUSTOMIZATIONS when contacting the manufacturer direct. INDUSTRY LEADING 20-YEAR WARRANTY that your pillow will stand the test of time! (PLEASE NOTE THAT THE MANUFACTURER ONLY WARRANTIES PURCHASES MADE THROUGH AUTHORIZED SELLERS (see complete details for more information located on the middle of this page).
What's to like about the Snuggle-Pedic Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
Hands down the best thing about Snuggle-Pedic’s pillow is their customization policy. You get to try the pillow for three months and if you have feedback about it, you can send it back to have its size, thickness, support, density etc. altered to suit you better. They’ll go out of their way to tailor a bought pillow to your needs; what more could one hope for?
What's not to like about the Snuggle-Pedic Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
We’re grasping at straws to come up with something bad to say about this pillow. It is on the expensive side, sure, but the company’s guarantee and willingness to work with you to make a truly custom pillow does a lot to offset this.
There’s only one other minor annoyance, a distinct, rubbery smell to the foam not even tumble drying seems to get rid of. Time does however, so you won’t be stuck with it forever.
5. NOFFA Memory Foam Pillow
he last shredded foam pillow we’ll count some sheep on is manufactured by Noffa. In a nutshell, it comes with almost all of the other shredded models’ bells and whistles, but has an unbeatable price which may entice you to buy more than one.
The pillow shares other shredded entries’ traditional shape and is suited not just for relieving pain and relaxing muscles, but for allergy sufferers and people concerned with the wellbeing of our environment too as everything from the foam itself to the pillow’s polyester-cotton blend cover are hypoallergenic and perfectly environmentally safe.
Unlike the others, the pillow is completely stitched up, so extra foam can’t be removed, not that you’d particularly need to remove it.
- Washable Pillow Cover: It's made of 33% Cotton 67% Polyester Microfiber. It has three structures: Cotton, Breathable and Supporting Layer. Pillow Case is removable and fully machine washable, easy to care for.
- Superior Materials: Fully adjustable bed pillow with 100% shredded Visco-Elastic memory foam provides superior ventilation and meets all your need of sleeping position which promotes deeper better sleep. Shredded Style Combination Memory Foam Pillow Never Goes Flat.
- Neck Pain Relief: NOFFA Memory Foam Pillow relieves neck, shoulder and back pain by allowing neck and shoulder muscles to fully relax.
- Soft and Hypoallergenic: Dust Mite, Mold and Mildew Resistant, Hypoallergenic. The Inner Pillow Case prevents dust and protects memory foam. Allergy sufferers don't need to worry anymore.
- Comfortable Size: Queen size, medium firm feel - great for back and side sleepers - 29x19 inch. Note:If you are not satisfied with products,please contact us for refund or replace.We would offer best service for you.
What's to like about the NOFFA Memory Foam Pillow
The pillow’s deceitfully fluffy foam tends to noticeably sink when weight is put on it. The resulting compressed layer is definitely not outright flat though, but reasonably supportive instead. Back sleepers will find that this shape keeps their body in alignment while the sides gently caress their face, making sleeping on the pillow quite enjoyable.
What's not to like about the NOFFA Memory Foam Pillow
Even though it wasn’t designed with foam removal in mind, the pillow suffers from the same plight a half-full Sable model does – after a while lumps can start to form as its innards shift around. Regular fluffing is also required as he foam tends to flatten out after a while.
MEMORY FOAM PILLOW BUYER'S GUIDE
Have you found the perfect pillow o catch some well-deserved Zs on? Even if one of them has already caught your eye, taking an extra minute or two to go over a few key points that come into play when buying a memory foam pillow as well as a few use and maintenance tips will ensure that you don’t lose any sleep over your choice, so take a look at the memory foam pillow buyer’s guide and frequently asked questions.
Giving up an old-fashioned pillow’s chunky and irregular texture doesn’t mean that you have to automatically get a memory foam pillow in one of their signature shapes.
As showcased in most of the reviews, nowadays there are shredded memory foam pillows out there which are indistinguishable from traditional ones right up until you lay your head on one and start feeling the difference in support.
Then there’s the signature single-piece memory foam pillow design complete with two lofts of different heights and a depression in the middle. They’re great for both back and side sleepers since either can use them simply by orientating them properly.
There’s also a solution for people who tend to switch positions a lot during the night– pillows with central cavities. These come with a gentle slope in the middle designed to correctly support the neck when sleeping on the back, and two high lofts on either side of it for when you want to turn to the side and still maintain correct sleeping form.
Memory foam’s density directly correlates to its supportive properties. The denser the foam is, the more likely it is that it will give your neck better support as there’s more mass to provide it.
Density doesn’t have as big a role in determining a pillow’s softness though – less dense pillows can be very hard and vice versa. A comparatively soft pillow of high density will still be better for your health, so try to take density into account when shopping.
The memory foam itself is mostly made up of polyurethane. That’s where the similarities between different manufacturers’ foams stop as each adds their own mixture of chemicals to the base material in order to create foams of different denseness and viscosity.
Some designs also include temperature-regulating gels. Covers are composed of all kinds of materials with cotton, bamboo and polyester being the most popular.
This is an aspect of memory foam pillows that’s usually neglected or thought of as unimportant. Most pillows are either white or have a kind of off-white color, depending on the manufacturer.
More color options usually indicate that the pillow is made up of more than one material or type of foam, so it might have one color on the inside that’s only visible on the sides which act as cross sections, or parts of its surface can be of a different color if they’re made from gel etc.
The color of the pillow’s innards can be an indicator of previous use or poor quality – if the foam inside has a sickly yellow color or is riddled with differently colored stains, the pillow’s make might not be the best
Length wise, memory foam pillows follow size guidelines for normal pillows more or less closely. That means that standard-size ones are typically somewhere around 25 inches long and the length is increased in increments of approximately 5 inches for queen- and king-sized models.
They’re noticeably narrower than traditional pillows though since there’s no need for them to take up more space than your head can lie on. Standard-sized ones hover around 16 inches while king-and queen-sized ones tend to both be around 20 inches wide.
A pillow’s weight depends on its size and density. Lower quality ones tend to weigh less than standard pillows while those filled with denser foam can get quite heavy.
Lighter standard-sized pillows weigh in at around 2.5 pounds, while the densest can be as much as a pound heavier while having the same dimensions. Queen-sized pillows can approach the 44 pound mark and quality king-sized ones are even heavier.
MEMORY FOAM PILLOW F.A.Q.
How do you clean a memory foam pillow?
While most pillows’ casings are perfectly machine washable and can be treated like any other laundry, the foam’s structure prohibits cleaning of the entire pillow with water as this would deform it.
The solution is to attack individual stains with a solution of baking soda and household detergent and then thoroughly dry the pillow before using it again. You should also aerate your pillow every two months to get rid of unpleasant odors.
How do you dry a memory foam pillow?
Drying a memory foam pillow is very straightforward. If you sense that it is damp, wring it out first so that the dampness comes closer to the surface. If it’s sunny outside, place the pillow onto a sun-lit area and let the sun heat it up and dry it out for 4-6 hours.
A ventilated and dry room will also do if it’s currently raining. Give the pillow a good squeeze afterwards to see if all the moisture was removed. If it wasn’t repeat until dry.
How do you use memory foam pillow?
It’s important to keep your sleeping habits in mind when seeping on a memory foam pillow. Support of the spine and neck muscles is crucial, so you need to make sure that you’re lying on a double-lofted pillow’s larger loft if you’re a side sleeper or the smaller one if you prefer sleeping on the back.
Some models’ height can even be adjusted by taking some of the foam out, so look into that as well if the pillow proves to be too high.
What is a memory foam pillow?
A memory foam pillow is a special kind of pillow made from a material which takes on the shape of anything you put onto it and then assumes its original shape once the weight, in this case your head and neck, is removed.
It has proven to be beneficial in treating mild cases of neck and back pain, relieves pressure from your neck muscles, keeps the spine in alignment and leads to a better quality of sleep, more energy and general improvements in the quality of your life.
Can bed bugs live in memory foam pillow?
Technically, bed bugs don’t make memory foam pillows their home, at least not their insides. The foam is usually too dense and the pillow’s cover adds an additional layer of protection against them.
However, there’s nothing stopping the bothersome critters from hiding under and living next to memory foam pillows, so vigilance on your part is needed regardless of the kind of pillow you use.
Whichever memory foam pillow on offer you decide to replace your old pillow with, the step up in sleep quality should be apparent as soon as you wake up refreshed and ready to tackle the day the next morning.
There is a clear winner though – Snuggle-Pedic! With a level of customization and dedication to ensuring a good night’s rest for you in particular the others don’t come close to, it’s the somewhat more expensive yet unmistakably best choice. Sweet dreams!